Call Us Today 713-225-6200
Ramos Law Group Mary E. Ramos selected as a Texas Super Lawyer
Ramos Law Group is Houstons Top Lawyer awards from 2015-2020
Ramos Law Group Board Certified: Texas board of legal specialization award for family law
Ramos Law Group A plus rating in the BBB
Ramos Law Group is part of the Texas Bar College
Ramos Law Group won best divorce lawyers in Houston 2022 award
Ramos Law Group 10.0 rating on avvo

We Handle the Full Range of Family Law Modifications in Southeast Texas

At the Ramos Law Group, PLLC, our Houston modification attorneys have the specialized skills, family law experience, and legal expertise to protect your rights and interests. Our firm handles the full range of family law modifications, including spousal support, child custody, and child support. If you have any specific questions about a family modification case, we are here to help. Give us a call at 713-225-6200 or contact us online for a fully confidential consultation with a Texas family modification lawyer today. 

Our Family Law Firms Helps Clients With All Types of Modification Cases

Family law modifications cases are complicated. At the Ramos Law Group, PLLC, we understand that life is unpredictable and circumstances can change with relatively little warning. For that reason, we are always here to help clients with the full range of modification cases to ensure their legal agreements are reflective of their current situation. Under Texas law (Tex. Fam. Code § 156.001), a number of different orders may be modified. Our team of experienced attorneys is dedicated to helping clients navigate the legal system and find the best possible outcome for their case. Along with other modification cases, our Houston attorneys have experience with: 

  • Spousal Maintenance (Alimony): Texas has some of the most restrictive spousal maintenance laws in the country. Though, it may be awarded in some cases. Spousal maintenance (alimony/spousal support) will typically be awarded to the spouse who earns less income or has less earning potential when certain factors are met. However, circumstances may change, and the need for spousal maintenance may no longer exist or may need to be modified. Our family law firm can assist clients in modifying their spousal maintenance agreements based on changes in their income, health, or other relevant factors. If you have any questions about spousal maintenance modifications, our Houston family modification lawyers are here to help. 
  • Child Custody: A child custody order/agreement in Texas is always subject to modification until the child(ren) becomes a legal adult. Custody orders are determined based on what is in the best interest of the child at the time of the order. However, as children grow and develop, their needs may change, and the custody arrangement may no longer be suitable. Our family law firm can help clients modify their child custody orders based on changes in circumstances, such as a parent’s relocation, the child’s changing needs, or the child’s preference. If you have any questions about modifying child custody in Southeast Texas, contact our Houston family law modification attorneys for immediate help. 
  • Child Support: Child support is a financial obligation that a parent has to provide for their child’s basic needs, such as food, housing, and medical care. Similar to child custody, child support can be modified when there has been a material and substantial change in circumstances. For example, changes in parental income or changes in a child’s needs may require a modification to the child support order. If you have any questions about the modification of a child support arrangement, contact our Houston family modification lawyers for immediate help.

Schedule Consultation

Divorce – Think of the children

Work on being flexible with the other parent.

Uncontested Divorce

The importance of gathering information.

Tip – Filing your original petition

There are several things to gather and consider.

View All

A Modification Is Much Easier When There Is an Agreement

A modification to a family law order can be a complex and emotionally charged process. However, it can be much easier when there is an agreement between the parties involved. In Texas, a modification can be made to orders related to child custody, visitation, child support, and spousal maintenance, as long as there has been a material and substantial change in circumstances.

Texas courts generally give parties wide discretion to modify ongoing family law obligations—child custody, child support, spousal maintenance, etc—if they both agree that there has been a material and substantial change in circumstances. By working together to reach an agreement, parties can avoid the stress and expense of a contested modification. 

If you are the one seeking a family law modification in Texas, it is always best to consider your options for getting cooperation from your former spouse and/or co-parent. When an agreement is possible, it will be faster, cheaper, and a lot easier to get a modification approved by a Texas court. 

What to Know About Getting a Modification in Family Law Disputes in Texas

While reaching an agreement can make the modification process easier, the simple reality is that an agreement is neither possible nor realistic in every modification case. If there is a dispute over a proposed family law modification, the matter will need to go through the court system. Here are key things to know when seeking a modification in a family law dispute in Texas: 

  • Material and Substantial Change in Circumstances Standard: In Texas, a modification can only be granted if there has been a material and substantial change in circumstances since the last order. In other words, there must be a significant change that affects the current order. What constitutes a material and substantial change in circumstances depends on the specific type of case.
  • Petition Must Be Filed By Party Seeking Modification: To start the modification process, a petition must be filed with the court. The petition should explain the change in circumstances and the requested modification. Once the petition is filed, the other party will have the opportunity to respond. It is the party who is seeking the modification who has the duty to file such a petition. 
  • Burden of Proof is on the Petitioner: If you are the party filing for a family law modification over the objections of your former spouse and/or co-parent, then you are the one who has the burden of proof to establish that there has been a material and substantial change in the underlying circumstances. 

Family Law Modifications in Texas: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What Is a Material and Substantial Change in Circumstances in a Child Support Case?

For the most part, material and substantial changes in child support cases are based on either parental financial resources or the child’s unique needs. As explained by the Attorney General of Texas, there is a presumption that a material and substantial change in circumstances has occurred if it has been three years since the order was entered and the amount that should be paid would change by at least 20 percent or $100 if the child support guidelines were re-applied. 

How Does the Best Interests of the Child Standard Impact Custody Modifications?

Texas uses the best interests of the child standard (Tex. Fam. Code § 153.002) for custody matters. When it comes to custody modifications, the “best interests of the child” standard is a crucial consideration. In Texas, courts make custody decisions based on what is in the best interests of the child at the time of the original order. However, if one party seeks a modification, they must prove not only that there has been a material and substantial change in circumstances but also that the proposed modification is in the child’s best interests.

My Co-Parent Is Seeking a Custody Modification, Can I Stop It?

Yes. You have a right to respond to a proposed child custody modification. In doing so, you should be prepared to raise a two-part defense. First, if applicable, you can argue that there has been no material and substantial change in circumstances. As such, no modification is appropriate. Additionally, you can also argue that the proposed modification of your co-parent is not in the best interests of the child. 

Does a Remarriage (New Marriage) Justify a Spousal Maintenance Modification in Texas?

It depends. When the recipient of alimony marries another person in Texas, all spousal support obligations automatically end. They should notify the obligor (person paying alimony) and payments should stop. However, when an obligor gets remarried in Texas, they do have the right to stop paying alimony. Most often, the obligor’s remarriage will not be considered good cause to end their payments. 

Why Choose the Ramos Law Group for Help With a Family Law Modification 

Life always changes. A family law arrangement—whether child custody, child support, and alimony—that worked previously may no longer be effective. At the Ramos Law Group, PLLC, we have extensive experience helping people navigate through the modification process. When you reach out to our law firm, you have an opportunity to consult with a Houston family modification lawyer who can: 

  • Listen to your story and answer questions about family law modifications;
  • Gather and organize all of the documents/records you may need to support yourcase; 
  • Represent you in any settlement negotiations with your former spouse/co-parent; and
  • Develop a personalized legal strategy to help you secure the very best results.  

Consult With Our Houston, TX Family Modification Attorney Today

At the Ramos Law Group, PLLC, our Houston family modifications lawyers have the professional skills and legal expertise that you can count on. If you have any questions about modifying spousal support, child custody, or child support, we can help. Reach out to us by phone at 713-225-6200 or contact us directly online to arrange a fully private, no obligation case review. With legal offices in Houston, The Woodlands, and Sugar Land, we handle family modification all across Southeast Texas. 

Our Client Testimonials

Superb Law Firm

The decision to end my 25-year marriage was not an easy one, but hiring the Ramos Law Group was. From the initial consultation to the execution of the Divorce Decree everyone at the firm displayed the utmost professionalism and I was treated as if I was their only client. My attorney Lindsey, always provided precise legal guidance, was usually one step ahead of the opposing counsel, and had a superb understanding of how things would play out in the court room. Additionally, whenever my case needed a little extra horsepower, Mary provided that "surge" to keep things on track.

Worth Every Penny

"Ms. Ramos and her entire staff worked with professionalism and compassion to guide me through the most difficult time of my life and to an outcome that was best for my family and myself. Ramos Law is incredible and I highly, highly recommend their services."

Custody case won

"I was recommended to see Mary Ramos for my on coming custody case,it was the best thing I could've done honestly.The Ramos law group was quick with emailed responses and telephone calls,informative with ANY questions I had and they also took action with what they thought would work,which it did,I had money troubles and they were still willing to help they sent me with a younger lawyer Lindsey Lewis to help save some money and she was the best!She knew what she was doing and Mary was still on my case to make sure things went smoothly and to catch any details Lindsey and I might have missed.All in all I am a very satisfied client and if I ever needed a family lawyer again I would come back.My case was won as I received primary for my daughter which is exactly what I asked for.If you're willing to listen to what they have to say and follow their guidance they're definitely worth hiring.I thought I wanted sole custody for my daughter and they explained that wasn't in the best interest for her and honestly they were right,they speak to you on a professional level and also a real level of how things are actually going to work and what could happen if you take a certain action.They definitely care about their clients and make their own bond with you,you're not just money in their pockets you turn into family. "

Divorce Attorney

"I received excellent advice and representation from Ms. Lindsey Lewis. She kept me updated at every step of the process, and I never felt as if my case was set aside. I would hire The Ramos Law Group in the future. "

Highly recommend

"I started my divorce with a lawyer who was not very responsive. My divorce case was complicated and needed more laborious scrutiny. Since the case was not moving forward I had to switch lawyers. Made the switch to Ramos Law group. Since the very first day Mary and her team have been very efficient and meticulous. Since the case was complicated the team had to go through myriads of pages in discovery. I was pleased with the legal team that helped us handle the paperwork in a very timely manner. All my questions were answered very promptly. The relay of information was easy with their software system. We finally had a law firm that we could trust. My divorce was finalized and I only have Mary and her team to thank for going through a difficult divorce. I would highly recommend the Ramos law group for their help and support for getting my life back on track. "

Check More Reviews

We Protect Your Rights, Your Family & Your Future.

X - Close