Call Us Today 713-225-6200
Ramos Law Group Mary E. Ramos selected as a Texas Super Lawyer
Ramos Law Group is Houstons Top Lawyer awards from 2015-2020
Ramos Law Group Board Certified: Texas board of legal specialization award for family law
Ramos Law Group A plus rating in the BBB
Ramos Law Group is part of the Texas Bar College
Ramos Law Group won best divorce lawyers in Houston 2022 award
Ramos Law Group 10.0 rating on avvo

Top Paternity & Father’s Rights Lawyers in Houston

Information From Top Paternity Attorneys

When the parents of a child are not married, the parent-child relationship must be established by the court. Suits affecting the parent-child relationship create visitation schedules, order child support, and determine the rights and duties of each parent.

Suits affecting the parent-child relationship, referred to as SAPCR, are also frequently used to establish paternity. They often call for legal representation from a father’s rights attorney.

How Do I Establish Paternity?

Paternity can be established if the father signs an acknowledgment of paternity, if they are listed on the birth certificate, and by taking a DNA test. It is wise to hire a paternity lawyer in Houston like the Ramos Law Group to advise on the process. Courts will require some, or possibly all, of these steps to be taken prior to adjudicating a father and establishing a parent-child relationship.

If the father refuses to acknowledge his child, the Court will order genetic testing. If the DNA test confirms paternity, he will be adjudicated as the father, with all of the legal rights and duties of a parent.

Why Is a Suit Affecting the Parent-Child Relationship Necessary?

A SAPCR establishes the parent-child relationship. Without a court order in place, each parent has equal rights to the child. Either parent could move away with the child, or attempt to prevent the other parent from seeing the child. If you have not established your parent-child relationship, it’s best to speak with a father’s rights attorney. If you have not executed the proper documents as a parent, you could be denied access to your child until you are adjudicated as the father.

Even if you are getting along with the other parent, you should still establish a legal relationship to protect your rights with the help of an experienced Houston paternity lawyer.

Is Child Support Required in a SAPCR?

Most courts require child support unless the parents are living together, even if the parents agree otherwise. Child support is intended to benefit the child and is presumed to be in the child’s best interest, so courts are reluctant to waive child support.

If you truly believe your case is exceptional, you may want to speak with one of the father’s rights attorneys at Ramos Law Group to determine if child support is needed.

My Child Is Still an Infant, What Kind of Visitation Will I Receive?

There is no standard possession order for children under the age of three. The court will look at the age and needs of each individual child in determining visitation. Most courts believe that frequent, short periods of contact are the best solution. Some courts will order “phased in” periods of possession until the child turns three.

Under phased in possession, the parent will spend increasingly longer periods of time with the child building up to the standard possession order.

Paternity Lawyers at Ramos Law Group

Whatever situation you find yourself in, hire a Ramos Law Group father’s rights attorney to help ensure you follow the correct legal process. Our expert lawyers are experienced in all matters of family law and can help you navigate difficult and important cases to find the best possible outcome.

Contact Ramos Law Group today and schedule your consultation.

Divorce – Think of the children

Work on being flexible with the other parent.

Uncontested Divorce

The importance of gathering information.

Tip – Filing your original petition

There are several things to gather and consider.

View All

Our Client Testimonials

Superb Law Firm

The decision to end my 25-year marriage was not an easy one, but hiring the Ramos Law Group was. From the initial consultation to the execution of the Divorce Decree everyone at the firm displayed the utmost professionalism and I was treated as if I was their only client. My attorney Lindsey, always provided precise legal guidance, was usually one step ahead of the opposing counsel, and had a superb understanding of how things would play out in the court room. Additionally, whenever my case needed a little extra horsepower, Mary provided that "surge" to keep things on track.

Worth Every Penny

"Ms. Ramos and her entire staff worked with professionalism and compassion to guide me through the most difficult time of my life and to an outcome that was best for my family and myself. Ramos Law is incredible and I highly, highly recommend their services."

Custody case won

"I was recommended to see Mary Ramos for my on coming custody case,it was the best thing I could've done honestly.The Ramos law group was quick with emailed responses and telephone calls,informative with ANY questions I had and they also took action with what they thought would work,which it did,I had money troubles and they were still willing to help they sent me with a younger lawyer Lindsey Lewis to help save some money and she was the best!She knew what she was doing and Mary was still on my case to make sure things went smoothly and to catch any details Lindsey and I might have missed.All in all I am a very satisfied client and if I ever needed a family lawyer again I would come back.My case was won as I received primary for my daughter which is exactly what I asked for.If you're willing to listen to what they have to say and follow their guidance they're definitely worth hiring.I thought I wanted sole custody for my daughter and they explained that wasn't in the best interest for her and honestly they were right,they speak to you on a professional level and also a real level of how things are actually going to work and what could happen if you take a certain action.They definitely care about their clients and make their own bond with you,you're not just money in their pockets you turn into family. "

Divorce Attorney

"I received excellent advice and representation from Ms. Lindsey Lewis. She kept me updated at every step of the process, and I never felt as if my case was set aside. I would hire The Ramos Law Group in the future. "

Highly recommend

"I started my divorce with a lawyer who was not very responsive. My divorce case was complicated and needed more laborious scrutiny. Since the case was not moving forward I had to switch lawyers. Made the switch to Ramos Law group. Since the very first day Mary and her team have been very efficient and meticulous. Since the case was complicated the team had to go through myriads of pages in discovery. I was pleased with the legal team that helped us handle the paperwork in a very timely manner. All my questions were answered very promptly. The relay of information was easy with their software system. We finally had a law firm that we could trust. My divorce was finalized and I only have Mary and her team to thank for going through a difficult divorce. I would highly recommend the Ramos law group for their help and support for getting my life back on track. "

Check More Reviews

We Protect Your Rights, Your Family & Your Future.

X - Close