The practice area of family law covers so many legal proceedings and processes that it’s likely most people will experience it first-hand at some point in their lives. There are joyous occasions such as adoption and marriage, in which you look forward to meeting your goals through compliance with the relevant Texas laws. In less joyful matters like divorce, your biggest concerns are protecting your interests to ensure a brighter future.
Regardless of how Texas family law concepts impact your situation, you’re in a better position to handle these circumstances when you have an experienced lawyer on your side. Our team at The Ramos Law Group, PLLC has the necessary skills and knowledge to fight for your rights, but we’re also compassionate in understanding the delicate, personal nature of these cases. Please contact our firm to set up a consultation with a family law attorney in The Woodlands today. We can advise you in a wide range of Texas family law cases, including:
Divorce: Other than the shared fact that divorce dissolves a marriage, all divorce matters involve unique facts and circumstances. Generally, there are three primary issues you’ll need to resolve through the proceedings.
- Asset Division: Texas is a community property state, which means that all assets acquired during the marriage are subject to fair, equitable distribution between the parties.
- Spousal Support. Also known as spousal maintenance, the initial question for spousal support is whether it’s appropriate. From there, you must address the details regarding the amount, duration, and application of the support payments.
- Issues Regarding Minor Children: Couples with children will face issues regarding custody, visitation, and support, which are described in more detail below.
At The Ramos Law Group, PLLC, we’re prepared to tackle these three aspects of divorce cases. We handle:
- Contested divorces, when the spouses cannot compromise on any of the above three issues and the disputes must be litigated;
- Uncontested divorces, in which the parties can enter into an agreement rather than having the court decide them;
- High net worth divorces, where the complicated nature of the assets can make asset division and spousal support difficult;
- Professional divorces, in which an ownership interest in medical practice or other professional industry may lead to complications; and,
- Premarital agreements, enabling you to avoid some of the complications of divorce by executing a premarital agreement before getting married.
Child Custody, Visitation, and Support: All issues related to minor children are central in divorce, but they’re also crucial in paternity cases. For these matters, Texas requires courts to make decisions based upon the factors included in the child’s best interest standard. Our lawyers at The Ramos Law Group, PLLC are prepared to guide you through such considerations as:
- Child Custody: Parents may share in important decision making regarding how to raise the child, in which each is a joint managing conservator. One will typically act as a residential parent, with whom the child primarily resides. Sole custody may be awarded in cases involving domestic violence, drug or alcohol abuse, or related conduct.
- Visitation: The nonresidential parent will have access to the child according to a schedule. Parents can utilize the standard possession order in Texas, or create a visitation arrangement that suits their specific circumstances – as long as it meets the child’s best interests.
- Child Support: Texas has enacted guidelines regarding the amount a non-possessory parent must pay to the other to financially support the child’s needs. The calculation is very case-specific, and there may be grounds to depart from it to establish a higher amount of child support.
Other Family Law Matters: Our team at The Ramos Law Group, PLLC also represents clients in other types of cases and proceedings in court, such as:
- Enforcement of support and visitation orders;
- Modification of orders related to minor children, often due to parental relocation or other change in circumstances;
- Termination of parental rights;
- Amicus and Attorney General cases;
- Paternity and fathers’ rights; and,
- Protective orders related to domestic violence.
Contact a Family Law Attorney in The Woodlands Today
If you have questions or concerns about any of the above matters, please contact The Ramos Law Group, PLLC to set up a consultation with a member of our team. Though there are legal requirements you must meet, not every family law case has to involve a court battle. We can assist with working out agreements to resolve conflicts and disputes, especially with regards to divorce, child custody and visitation, and other issues related to minor children. We’re happy to explain the laws and develop a strategy for achieving your goals after reviewing your circumstances.
Our Client Testimonials
The decision to end my 25-year marriage was not an easy one, but hiring the Ramos Law Group was. From the initial consultation to the execution of the Divorce Decree everyone at the firm displayed the utmost professionalism and I was treated as if I was their only client. My attorney Lindsey, always provided precise legal guidance, was usually one step ahead of the opposing counsel, and had a superb understanding of how things would play out in the court room. Additionally, whenever my case needed a little extra horsepower, Mary provided that "surge" to keep things on track.
"Ms. Ramos and her entire staff worked with professionalism and compassion to guide me through the most difficult time of my life and to an outcome that was best for my family and myself. Ramos Law is incredible and I highly, highly recommend their services."
"I was recommended to see Mary Ramos for my on coming custody case,it was the best thing I could've done honestly.The Ramos law group was quick with emailed responses and telephone calls,informative with ANY questions I had and they also took action with what they thought would work,which it did,I had money troubles and they were still willing to help they sent me with a younger lawyer Lindsey Lewis to help save some money and she was the best!She knew what she was doing and Mary was still on my case to make sure things went smoothly and to catch any details Lindsey and I might have missed.All in all I am a very satisfied client and if I ever needed a family lawyer again I would come back.My case was won as I received primary for my daughter which is exactly what I asked for.If you're willing to listen to what they have to say and follow their guidance they're definitely worth hiring.I thought I wanted sole custody for my daughter and they explained that wasn't in the best interest for her and honestly they were right,they speak to you on a professional level and also a real level of how things are actually going to work and what could happen if you take a certain action.They definitely care about their clients and make their own bond with you,you're not just money in their pockets you turn into family. "
"I received excellent advice and representation from Ms. Lindsey Lewis. She kept me updated at every step of the process, and I never felt as if my case was set aside. I would hire The Ramos Law Group in the future. "
"I started my divorce with a lawyer who was not very responsive. My divorce case was complicated and needed more laborious scrutiny. Since the case was not moving forward I had to switch lawyers. Made the switch to Ramos Law group. Since the very first day Mary and her team have been very efficient and meticulous. Since the case was complicated the team had to go through myriads of pages in discovery. I was pleased with the legal team that helped us handle the paperwork in a very timely manner. All my questions were answered very promptly. The relay of information was easy with their software system. We finally had a law firm that we could trust. My divorce was finalized and I only have Mary and her team to thank for going through a difficult divorce. I would highly recommend the Ramos law group for their help and support for getting my life back on track. "