Adoption is a tremendous gift that allows many people to grow and protect their families. But adoption can also be a complex and confusing legal process during which many challenges may arise.
If you are considering an adoption in or near Pearland, Texas, it’s crucial to follow the proper procedure to increase your chances of a successful adoption. At The Ramos Law Group, PLLC, we have helped families throughout Texas as they navigate the ins and outs of the adoption process.
If you’re not quite ready to move forward, that’s okay—we know how difficult it can be to find an attorney you can fully trust to help you through such a critical time in your life. In the meantime, use our guide below to learn more about Texas adoptions and how a Pearland adoption lawyer can help you move forward.
When Can a Pearland Adoption Lawyer Help?
No two adoptions are the same. In fact, many situations might prompt someone to seek adoption. Below are some examples of the types of adoptions that a family law attorney can assist with:
- Private adoption,
- Agency adoption,
- Relative adoption,
- Stepparent adoption,
- Open adoption,
- Closed adoption, and
- Foster care adoption.
No matter the scenario, if you aren’t sure where to turn or how to begin the process, consider speaking with an experienced Texas adoption attorney to discuss your options.
An Overview of Texas Adoption Laws
Before you select a Pearland adoption lawyer for your case, it’s important to have a basic understanding of the laws governing adoption in Texas. Read on to learn more about the adoption process and gain a better understanding of how a lawyer can be a benefit to your case moving forward.
When a Child Can Be Adopted
Under Texas Family Code § 162.001, a child can be adopted if:
- The parent-child relationship has been terminated between the child and both living parents, or if a lawsuit seeking such termination is joined with the suit for adoption;
- The parent whose rights haven’t been terminated is the spouse of the party seeking the proceeding under a stepparent adoption;
- The child is at least two years old, and the parent-child relationship has been terminated with respect to one parent, the person seeking the adoption has been acting as managing conservator or has had care, possession, and control of the child for the preceding six months or is the child’s former stepparent, and the non terminated parent consents to the adoption; or
- The child is at least two years old, and the parent-child relationship has been terminated with respect to one parent, the person seeking the adoption is the child’s former stepparent and has been acting as managing conservator or has had care, possession, and control of the child for the preceding year.
As you can see, even just determining whether a child may be adopted under Texas law can be confusing. Thus, having an attorney in your corner can be invaluable as you move through the process.
The Best Interest of the Child Standard
The overarching consideration in an adoption proceeding is determining what is in the best interest of the child. Specifically, the court must make separate findings that (1) terminating the existing parent’s rights is in the best interest of the child, and (2) the adoption sought is in the best interest of the child. Only if both are true will the court grant the adoption.
Benefits of Hiring a Lawyer for the Adoption Process in Texas
The adoption process can be complicated, confusing, and time-consuming, and this is especially true if you are not intimately familiar with the rules and requirements involved. This is where a Pearland adoption lawyer can be a great asset.
A well-versed family law and adoption lawyer can help your case by:
- Ensuring compliance with the many legal requirements for adoption in Texas;
- Providing analysis and insight into the strengths and weaknesses of your case;
- Drafting and filing important legal documents;
- Appearing in court on your behalf; and
- Gathering evidence and presenting arguments to help support your claim that the adoption you’re seeking is, in fact, in the best interest of the child.
In short, an experienced attorney can help you streamline the process and take some of the weight off your shoulders as you pursue your adoption.
Choosing the Right Adoption Attorney in Pearland, TX: Tips and Considerations
You don’t want to hire just any lawyer for your case. Rather, be sure to select someone with the tools, resources, and experience necessary to help you navigate such a complex process and specialized area of law.
With so many lawyers in Pearland and the greater Houston area, it can be difficult finding the right one for your case. If you’re not sure where to begin, here are a few tips to help you select an attorney for your adoption matter.
- Specializes in adoption. Look for an attorney who specializes in family law and adoptions in Texas rather than someone whose primary focus is in another unrelated area of law.
- Has good reviews. Search for online reviews and testimonials from past clients of any lawyers you may be considering.
- Experience in and out of court. Make sure to select someone with experience negotiating and settling claims outside of court, as well as experience litigating matters in court.
- Exhibits compassion. Don’t forget to schedule a consultation with any prospective attorneys before hiring them. It’s best to speak to them and make sure they are compassionate, communicative, and trustworthy.
Many people make the mistake of rushing into a decision. And while it’s certainly understandable to want to get started as soon as possible, be sure to take some time vetting any potential lawyers to ensure you select the right one for the job.
Speak with an Experienced Pearland Adoption Lawyer Today
The Ramos Law Group, PLLC, has been helping Texas families for over 14 years as they navigate the ins and outs of the adoption process. We pride ourselves on focusing all of our energy, efforts, and passion on one area of law—family law. Thus, when you hire our team, you can rest assured knowing that we have the background and skills necessary to effectively fight for your rights.
When it comes to something as important as adoption, you deserve the best, and we will always strive to be just that—the best—for our clients. Give us a call today to schedule your consultation and see how our Pearland adoption attorneys can help you.