Call Us Today 713-225-6200
Ramos Law Group Mary E. Ramos selected as a Texas Super Lawyer
Ramos Law Group is Houstons Top Lawyer awards from 2015-2020
Ramos Law Group Board Certified: Texas board of legal specialization award for family law
Ramos Law Group A plus rating in the BBB
Ramos Law Group is part of the Texas Bar College
Ramos Law Group won best divorce lawyers in Houston 2022 award
Ramos Law Group 10.0 rating on avvo

Sugar Land Enforcement of Orders Attorney

When you begin a relationship, you do not know where life might take you. Sometimes, the relationship ends naturally, and you cooperatively arrange the terms of your separation. Other times, things fall apart dramatically, and you battle the terms of your separation out until the last word. 

Unfortunately, sometimes one person fails to hold up their end of the agreement, even if things ended amicably. If that happens, you have options for enforcing the divorce order, and the attorneys at the Ramos Law Group, PLLC, can help. We hold ourselves to the highest standards of continuing education and innovation, led by board-certified family law specialist Mary Ramos. If you live in the Sugar Land, TX, area and need a Sugar Land enforcement of orders attorney, contact us today.

Violating the Decree

Whether you negotiated your decree directly, through attorneys, or at mediation, or you took your case to family court, it is unlikely you or your ex-partner got everything you wanted. Typically, your divorce decree includes provisions covering:

  • Child custody,
  • Child support,
  • Property and debt division, and
  • Spousal support.

In circumstances involving family violence, you may also have a protective order. 

When someone violates the terms of the order, the right response depends on your unique relationship and history. An enforcement of orders lawyer can help determine the best option, offering their knowledge about legal recourse and relying on your knowledge about your ex-partner. Sometimes, you can resolve the issue by communicating through your attorney. Other times, you need a stronger hand.

Requesting the Court’s Help

If you have unsuccessfully tried to get your ex-partner to comply or they are unlikely to respond to an informal resolution, you can ask the court to step in. Depending on the circumstances, the court can hold your ex-partner in contempt of court. The judge can potentially order your ex-partner to:

  • Spend up to six months in jail,
  • Pay up to a $500 fine, and
  • Cover your attorney fees and court costs.

What you need to file varies based on what portion of the decree you are asking the court to enforce. But most requests for enforcement of a divorce decree are similar. You explain how your ex-partner violated the order, provide evidence, and indicate your ideal resolution.

Child Support

A non-custodial parent will often owe regular child support payments following a separation. If they fall behind on those payments or refuse to pay, the court can hold them in contempt to enforce their obligation. The court may also be able to garnish the other party’s wages.

Child Custody

Realistically, you will adapt your scheduled time with your children to your and your ex-partner’s lives. Not every little change requires court intervention. But when one parent interferes with the other parent’s right to see their child, especially if they do so repeatedly, you can ask the court to enforce the custody order.

Property and Debt Division

Texas is a community property state, meaning assets and debts acquired during marriage are typically shared between the spouses. If your ex-partner refuses to deliver personal items or vacate property you have the right to occupy, you can request the court enforce the order. You must file within two years of the date the order dividing property was entered.

Spousal Support

When one partner earns significantly less than the other, the decree may include provisions for spousal support payments. If the party who owes the money does not pay, the court can enforce the agreement through contempt or by garnishing the ex-partner’s wages.

Protective Order

If your ex-partner violates a protective order, do not reach out to them. In an emergency, contact the police. Keep a record of any violations and notify the authorities as soon as practicable. Depending on the circumstances, a prosecutor may get involved in a contempt proceeding.

Changing Your Agreement

If you want to deviate from an order in a minor way and your ex-partner is okay with it, you typically can. However, you should seek a written modification for any substantial change, even if you get your ex-partner’s permission before acting. The court will usually approve modifications you and your ex-partner agree on. 

If you want to make a change your ex-partner does not agree to, you usually can, except for property division. To modify child custody, child support, or spousal support, you must prove that circumstances have “materially and substantially changed.” Typically, only the person protected by a protective order can request to modify it.

Get Help Enforcing Orders in Sugar Land

When you get through your separation from your ex-partner and they turn around and fail or refuse to comply with the terms of the separation, you may feel at a loss. At the Ramos Law Group, PLLC, we are passionate about guiding our clients through challenging days to help them achieve stability in their lives. We continuously educate ourselves to ensure we stay on top of developments in the law and are committed to providing excellent service. If you need a Sugar Land enforcement of orders attorney, reach out today.

Divorce – Think of the children

Work on being flexible with the other parent.

Uncontested Divorce

The importance of gathering information.

Tip – Filing your original petition

There are several things to gather and consider.

View All

Our Client Testimonials

Superb Law Firm

The decision to end my 25-year marriage was not an easy one, but hiring the Ramos Law Group was. From the initial consultation to the execution of the Divorce Decree everyone at the firm displayed the utmost professionalism and I was treated as if I was their only client. My attorney Lindsey, always provided precise legal guidance, was usually one step ahead of the opposing counsel, and had a superb understanding of how things would play out in the court room. Additionally, whenever my case needed a little extra horsepower, Mary provided that "surge" to keep things on track.

Worth Every Penny

"Ms. Ramos and her entire staff worked with professionalism and compassion to guide me through the most difficult time of my life and to an outcome that was best for my family and myself. Ramos Law is incredible and I highly, highly recommend their services."

Custody case won

"I was recommended to see Mary Ramos for my on coming custody case,it was the best thing I could've done honestly.The Ramos law group was quick with emailed responses and telephone calls,informative with ANY questions I had and they also took action with what they thought would work,which it did,I had money troubles and they were still willing to help they sent me with a younger lawyer Lindsey Lewis to help save some money and she was the best!She knew what she was doing and Mary was still on my case to make sure things went smoothly and to catch any details Lindsey and I might have missed.All in all I am a very satisfied client and if I ever needed a family lawyer again I would come back.My case was won as I received primary for my daughter which is exactly what I asked for.If you're willing to listen to what they have to say and follow their guidance they're definitely worth hiring.I thought I wanted sole custody for my daughter and they explained that wasn't in the best interest for her and honestly they were right,they speak to you on a professional level and also a real level of how things are actually going to work and what could happen if you take a certain action.They definitely care about their clients and make their own bond with you,you're not just money in their pockets you turn into family. "

Divorce Attorney

"I received excellent advice and representation from Ms. Lindsey Lewis. She kept me updated at every step of the process, and I never felt as if my case was set aside. I would hire The Ramos Law Group in the future. "

Highly recommend

"I started my divorce with a lawyer who was not very responsive. My divorce case was complicated and needed more laborious scrutiny. Since the case was not moving forward I had to switch lawyers. Made the switch to Ramos Law group. Since the very first day Mary and her team have been very efficient and meticulous. Since the case was complicated the team had to go through myriads of pages in discovery. I was pleased with the legal team that helped us handle the paperwork in a very timely manner. All my questions were answered very promptly. The relay of information was easy with their software system. We finally had a law firm that we could trust. My divorce was finalized and I only have Mary and her team to thank for going through a difficult divorce. I would highly recommend the Ramos law group for their help and support for getting my life back on track. "

Check More Reviews

We Protect Your Rights, Your Family & Your Future.

X - Close