Call Us Today 713-225-6200

I Had a Child While Married But My Husband Is Not the Father

Divorce When Husband is NOT the Father

“I had a child while married but my husband is not the father” is a situation that Texas Paternity Laws address directly under the Texas Family Code.Under Texas Paternity Laws of the Texas Family Code, a child born during a marriage is presumed to be the child of the husband and wife. This means that the husband of the marriage is presumed to be the father, not the biological father, legally. So, if a woman gives birth to a child whose father is not her husband, her husband is still presumed to be the father unless additional steps are taken to adjudicate the paternity of the biological father. These steps include:

  1. Denial of Paternity – The husband must sign a denial of paternity form which states that he knows that he is not the biological father of a child.
  2. Acknowledgement of Paternity – AOP – Form 1608– The biological father of the child can sign an acknowledgment of paternity, which is filed with the Bureau of Vital Statistics. This form is where a biological father states that he knows himself to be the father of a child, binding to Texas paternity laws.
  3. Paternity Test – A voluntary or court-ordered paternity test of the child and biological child may be necessary to prove the actual paternity if an acknowledgment of paternity is not signed or is invalid.
  4. Petition to Adjudicate Parentage – Next you will need to file an original suit alleging that your husband is not the presumed father and request that the Court adjudicate the biological father as the legal father. This is where you will use the above documents to help establish paternity with Texas paternity laws.
  5. Divorce When husband is NOT the Father – If the paternity of a child is an issue during a divorce, the paternity can be adjudicated within the final decree of divorce using the above steps.

The resulting Order Adjudicating Parentage or Final Decree of Divorce and establishing paternity will include provisions regarding conservatorship, access and visitation, and child support. Once a man has been adjudicated as the father of a child he is that child’s father for all legal purposes and now has a legal obligation to that child.

The Presumed Father in Texas Paternity Law

As a husband is the presumed father until he is determined not to be the father of a child of the marriage, he will be legally responsible for child support, medical support and taking care of a child that is not biologically his until the above legal steps are taken. As such, a father must protect his rights to either claim his biological child or prevent being responsible for a child that does not belong to him.

Connect with an Attorney

If you are currently married and want to establish paternity of a child that is not your husband’s, are subject to a court-ordered paternity test, or if you are the husband and you do not believe a child is yours, please contact the Ramos Law Group, PLLC. We can help to navigate Texas paternity law and begin the steps to properly adjudicate the paternity of the child. You can also visit us on the web.

Disclaimer: The material obtained from this site is not intended to be legal advice. Please consult an attorney for advice regarding your own legal situation or if you’re going through a divorce where you are NOT the father.

Last Updated on March 27, 2024 by Mary E. Ramos

Author Photo

Mary E. Ramos

Mary E. Ramos is Board Certified in Family Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. She is recognized and respected throughout the Houston legal community for dedication in effectively representing clients’ rights and interests. Mary understands the emotional side of divorce and brings a special compassion to each and every case.

CALL FOR A CONSULTATION 713-225-6200 or Fill Out the Form Below

By submitting this form, I understand and agree that an attorney-client relationship with Ramos Law Group is ONLY established upon entering into a written fee agreement. I acknowledge that this submission is not a request for legal advice, and any information received in response will not constitute legal advice.

I also consent to receiving text messages from Ramos Law Group. I can text ‘STOP’ to opt out of text messages at any time. Please visit our SMS Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more details.

X - Close