Featured Image

If you’re recently divorced, you may be wondering, ‘Can my ex take my child out of state’? Depending on whether or not you and your former spouse had an agreement in place, the answer may be different. Read below to find out what factors determine whether or not a parent and ex-spouse is legally allowed to take your child across state lines.

If you need additional information or legal assistance, contact our office to schedule a consultation with our experienced Texas family law attorneys.

What If There is No Custody Agreement in Place?

Yes, if there is no custody agreement in place, your ex-spouse may take your child out of state.

Until there is an order of the court in place regarding custody, both parents have equal rights to possession and access of the child. This means that both parents can make decisions regarding the child, including where to go on vacation and whether or not to move out of state with the child. Although these actions may be frustrating, without a court order in place, they do not constitute kidnapping.

If you feel that the other parent of your child is thinking about moving out of the state, the best way to keep them from taking your child with them, is to speak to an attorney about getting a formal custody agreement in place. It is best to get the momentum on your side before the move, so acting sooner rather than later is key. The courts are much less likely to order that a child be returned to the jurisdiction than they are to order they remain in the jurisdiction.

What Can I Do Once an Agreement is In Place?

Once an agreement is in place, the parties’ rights to possession and access to the child will be set by order of the court. Generally, this will include a geographic restriction. For example, a final order in a suit for custody in Harris County, Texas will often include a provision restricting the residence of the child to Harris and contiguous counties. This is quite a large area including Montgomery, Liberty, Chambers, Galveston, Brazoria, Fort Bend, and Waller Counties.

A geographic restriction means that if the other parent is the joint managing conservator with the right to designate the residence of the child, they must do so within the geographically designated area. If you’re still wondering, but ‘can my ex move my child out state?’, you should know that the other parent would first need to file a motion to modify the order asking that the geographic restriction be removed and show that such a move would be in the best interests of the child.

What About Traveling Temporarily?

As far as traveling out of the state with the child, often once there is an agreement in place, the only requirement is that the domestic travel take place during their period of possession. Many agreements also require written notice outlining the child’s travel itinerary be provided a certain amount of time prior to the trip. Parties can even go so far as to require that the other parent consent before any domestic travel.

For international travel, there may be additional restrictions regarding passports and consent. If there are concerns about the other parent traveling with the child, make sure to discuss them with your attorney so that they can be addressed in the final order.

Schedule a Consultation

If you’re still uncertain about whether your ex can take your child out of state, make sure you speak with a Texas family law attorney to get the facts and know your rights. To get in touch with one of our attorneys regarding the custody arrangement with your ex-spouse, please contact us today.

Video Transcription:

In the State of Texas, the idea often referred to as ‘custody’ is referred to as ‘conservatorship’, while ‘visitation rights’ is known as ‘possession’. A Standard Possession Order is the statute which details who has ‘possession’ of the child or children when parents do not agree. Read on to learn more about the Texas Standard Possession Order, and if you still have questions, contact our office to set up a consultation with our experienced Texas family law attorney.

What is the Standard Possession Order in Texas?

The Standard Possession Order in Texas comprises of a weekend possession calendar, which is normally the 1st, 3rd, and 5th weekends and a Thursday during the school year, for a weekday period of possession. Parents also have to include a possession calendar for the holiday schedule, and need to determine when the holiday schedule would actually begin based on the school district that the child is enrolled in. If the child is not enrolled in school, the school district that he or she would be enrolled in.

To determine when the holidays would start, the schedule would technically include Thanksgiving. One year is to one custodial parent, and the following year the second custodial parent would have that holiday, meaning the parents would rotate, even in odd years. There are two halves of Christmas Break every year. Typically, the parent who exercised the Thanksgiving holiday will then have the second half of Christmas Break so that the other parent will then have Christmas, and will rotate that every year.

Typically, Christmas Break does start from the beginning of the Christmas Break or Winter Break for the school year and ends at noon on the 28th with the second parent picking up noon 28th and returning the child after school begins following the Christmas Break and will rotate that every year.

There’s also Spring Break every year. Again, custodial parents will rotate years even in odd years. Mother’s Day will have Mother’s Day weekends for mothers. Fathers will have Father’s Day weekends for fathers. The extended 30 day summer time, 30 days for the non-custodial parent.

On the child’s birthdays, if one parent is in possession of the child for the day, then the other custodial parent may come and pick up the child and the child’s siblings from 6 to 8 p.m. on their birthday to take them to dinner.

The Texas Standard Possession Order and schedule for your children is in lieu of the two parents actually having an agreement that outlines when said parents want to actually exchange their children. If the two parents decide on their own schedule and choose to put this order away in a drawer and never look at it, that is fine. But the minute you cannot agree, then you must refer to the order because that would be the least amount of time to which you you would be entitled.

Contact Experienced Family Law Attorneys

If you’re still unsure about how to create a visitation schedule with your ex-spouse, or require further clarification regarding the Texas Standard Possession Order, be sure to schedule an appointment with our team of experienced family law attorneys. Contact Ramos Law Group today.

If you’re curious about the benefits of mediation when you’re in the midst of a family law dispute, consider contacting a lawyer who has expertise in mediation. Watch the video featuring our board certified attorney Mary E. Ramos, or read our transcription below, to learn a few of the benefits of mediation and contact our team of experienced mediation lawyers at Ramos Law Group to schedule a consultation.

Mary E. Ramos on Mediation:

Ninety percent of cases are actually resolved in mediation. You and I will meet in one room and most of the time, the other attorney and their client will meet in a separate room and the mediator will then go back and forth between both rooms to try and come up with an agreement. Most of the time, one spouse starts with this type of idea where they think they want to be and so does the other spouse. So through the mediation process, we compromise to the point where we can both live with something that we can agree to and sign off on it.

If it’s something that the two of you actually create, it is probably more likely better and more beneficial for your children to follow a mediated settlement agreement, as opposed to allowing the judge to make a decision on your case, being a complete stranger and just another case in the long line of cases that that judge has to rule on that day. You keep control of making decisions on your divorce by participating in successfully coming to an agreement during the mediation process.

Another good advantage to mediation is once we sign off on a mediation settlement agreement, there is no backing out of it. No buyer’s remorse. It’s a done deal. You wouldn’t be able to call me tomorrow and ask, “I kind of don’t agree with what we did in mediation last night. Can I change my mind?”

So that saves a lot of money in trying to prepare to go forward and prepare for a hearing or a type of trial only to get down to the court and maybe being reset, have to come back on another day at the judge’s convenience, spending more money and time and not getting a result and not having the control that you would have over your life and your children and your finances.”

Contact Our Team Today

At Ramos Law Group, PLLC, our divorce lawyers work hard to ensure a positive outcome despite the difficult and challenging circumstances of your situation. If you still have questions about the benefits of mediation, contact our experienced mediation lawyers to schedule an appointment today.

Featured Image





The Court examined the pleadings JOHN “SHE’S NOTHING WITHOUT ME” DOE, JR. and finds that JOHN “SHE’S NOTHING WITHOUT ME” DOE, JR. and JANE “I MADE HIM WHAT HE IS” DOE are entitled to the joint and mutual temporary injunctions below.

IT IS THEREFORE ORDERED that the joint and mutual temporary injunctions are GRANTED, and JOHN “SHE’S NOTHING WITHOUT ME” DOE, JR. and JANE “I MADE HIM WHAT HE IS” DOE are immediately restrained, from:

  1. Communicating with the other party in person, by telephone, or in writing in vulgar, profane, obscene, or indecent language or in a coarse or offensive manner.
  2. Threatening the other party in person, by telephone, or in writing to take unlawful action against any person.
  3. Placing one or more telephone calls, anonymously, at any unreasonable hour, in an offensive and repetitious manner, or without a legitimate purpose of communication.
  4. Causing bodily injury to the other party or to a child of either party.
  5. Threatening the other party or a child of either party with imminent bodily injury.
  6. Destroying, removing, concealing, encumbering, transferring, or otherwise harming or reducing the value of the property of one or both of the parties.
  7. Falsifying any writing or record relating to the property of either party.
  8. Misrepresenting or refusing to disclose to the other party or to the Court, on proper request, the existence, amount, or location of any property of one or both of the parties.
  9. Damaging or destroying the tangible property of one or both of the parties, including any document that represents or embodies anything of value.
  10. Tampering with the tangible property of one or both of the parties, including any document that represents or embodies anything of value, and causing pecuniary loss to the other party.
  11. Selling, transferring, assigning, mortgaging, encumbering, or in any other manner alienating any of the property of Petitioner or Respondent, whether personalty or realty, and whether separate or community, except as specifically authorized by this order.
  12. Incurring any indebtedness, other than legal expenses in connection with this suit, except as specifically authorized by this order.
  13. Making withdrawals from any checking or savings account in any financial institution for any purpose, except as specifically authorized by this order.
  14. Spending any sum of cash in each party’s possession or subject to each party’s control for any purpose, except as specifically authorized by this order.
  15. Withdrawing or borrowing in any manner for any purpose from any retirement, profit-sharing, pension, death, or other employee benefit plan or employee savings plan or from any individual retirement account or Keogh account, except as specifically authorized by this order.
  16. Entering any safe-deposit box in the name of or subject to the control of Petitioner or Respondent, whether individually or jointly with others.
  17. Withdrawing or borrowing in any manner all or any part of the cash surrender value of life insurance policies on the life of Petitioner or Respondent, except as specifically authorized by this order.
  18. Changing or in any manner altering the beneficiary designation on any life insurance on the life of Petitioner or Respondent or the parties’ child.
  19. Canceling, altering, failing to renew or pay premiums, or in any manner affecting the present level of coverage of any life, casualty, automobile, or health insurance policies insuring the parties’ property or persons, including the parties’ child.
  20. Opening or diverting mail addressed to the other party.
  21. Signing or endorsing the other party’s name on any negotiable instrument, check, or draft, such as tax refunds, insurance payments, and dividends, or attempting to negotiate any negotiable instrument payable to the other party without the personal signature of the other party.
  22. Taking any action to terminate or limit credit or charge cards in the name of the other party.
  23. Discontinuing or reducing the withholding for federal income taxes on each party’s wages or salary while this case is pending.
  24. Destroying, disposing of, or altering any financial records of the parties, including but not limited to records from financial institutions (including canceled checks and deposit slips), all records of credit purchases or cash advances, tax returns, and financial statements.
  25. Destroying, disposing of, or altering any e-mail or other electronic data relevant to the subject matters of this case, whether stored on a hard drive or on a diskette or other electronic storage device.
  26. Terminating or in any manner affecting the service of water, electricity, gas, telephone, cable television, or other contractual services, such as security, pest control, landscaping, or yard maintenance, at 1214 Miramar Street, Houston, TX 77006 or in any manner attempting to withdraw any deposits for service in connection with those services.
  27. Entering, operating, or exercising control over the motor vehicle in the possession of Petitioner.
  28. Disturbing the peace of the child or of another party;
  29. Withdrawing the child from enrollment in the school or day-care facility where the child is enrolled without the written permission of the other party;
  30. Permitting an unrelated adult with whom either party has an intimate or dating relationship to remain in the same residence with the child between the hours of 10 P.M. and 8 A.M.
  31. Hiding or secreting the child from another party;
  32. Making disparaging remarks regarding any party or party’s family in the presence or within the hearing of the child;
  33. Allowing others to make disparaging remarks regarding any party or party’s family in the presence or within the hearing of the child;
  34. Consuming alcohol within the 24 hours before or during the period of possession of or access to the child;
  35. Transporting the child as a driver in a motor vehicle within the previous 8 hours of having consumed an alcoholic beverage, or permitting a third party who has consumed alcohol within the previous 8 hours to so transport the child;
  36. Ingesting, consuming, or using any narcotic substance within the 48 hours before or during the period of possession of or access to the child;
  37. Allowing others who have ingested, consumed, or used any narcotic substance within the 48 hours before or during the period of possession of or access to the child to have access to the child;
  38. Using corporal punishment for the discipline of a child or permitting anyone under either parent’s control to inflict such punishment upon either child;
  39. Communicating with each other through the child; nor
  40. Discussing any matters of the litigation with the child.

IT IS FURTHER ORDERED that each party is authorized only as follows:

To make expenditures and incur indebtedness for reasonable and necessary living expenses for food, clothing, shelter, transportation, and medical care.

To make expenditures and incur indebtedness for reasonable attorney’s fees and expenses in connection with this suit.

To make withdrawals from accounts in financial institutions only for the purposes authorized by this order.

To engage in acts reasonable and necessary to conduct each party’s usual business and occupation.

Service of Writ and Waiver of Bond

JOHN “SHE’S NOTHING WITHOUT ME” DOE, JR. and JANE “I MADE HIM WHAT HE IS” DOE waive issuance and service of the writ of injunction, by stipulation or as evidenced by the signatures below.  IT IS ORDERED that JOHN “SHE’S NOTHING WITHOUT ME” DOE, JR. and JANE “I MADE HIM WHAT HE IS” DOE shall be deemed to be duly served with the writ of injunction.

This joint and mutual injunctions order is effective immediately and shall continue in force and effect until further order of this Court. This order shall be binding on JOHN “SHE’S NOTHING WITHOUT ME” DOE, JR. and JANE “I MADE HIM WHAT HE IS” DOE; on JOHN “SHE’S NOTHING WITHOUT ME” DOE, JR.’s and NEDRA JANE “I MADE HIM WHAT HE IS” DOE’s agents, servants, and employees; and on those persons in active concert or participation with them who receive actual notice of this order by personal service or otherwise.

SIGNED on ___________________






_______________ _______________




Ramos Law Group, PLLC Big Money & Associates, P.C.
1214 Miramar Street 3355 W. Alabama, Suite 444
Houston, Texas 77006 Houston, Texas 77098
Tel: (713) 225-6200 Tel.: (281) 555-5000
Fax: (713) 225-6201 Fax: (281) 555-5001
info@ramosfamilylaw.com Tex@bigmoneyassociates.com


By:______________ By:______________
Mary E. Ramos Big Tex NewHouse
State Bar No. 24045170 State Bar No. 24099999
Attorneys for JOHN DOE, JR Attorney for JANE DOE
Featured Image

The following is a list of House Bills and Senate Bills that have caused changes, effective currently unless otherwise noted, in the area of Family Law:

House Bills

  1. HB 826.  This bill amends Section 105.006 (e-2) of the Texas Family Code to require additional mandatory language in orders that orders child support.  The orders are now to include a boldface statement in capital letters that outlines the circumstances under which the court may modify a child support order.
  2. HB910.  This bill amends the law to permit the carrying of handguns that are not concealed.  Numerous provisions in the Family Code were amended to remove the word concealed.  Effective January 1, 2016.
  3. HB 1500.  This bill amends Section 156.006(b-1) of the Texas Family Code.  When filing a motion for a temporary order based on the allegation that the child’s present circumstances would significantly impair the child’s physical health or development, the person requesting the temporary order must execute and attach an affidavit based on his/her personal knowledge or representations made by someone with personal knowledge that contain the facts and support the allegation.   The court shall deny the relief and decline to set the matter for a hearing unless it determines on the basis of the affidavit that the facts are adequate to support the allegation.
  4. HB 1781.  Section 102.0045 of the Texas Family Code is modified to allow the sibling of a child separated for a sibling as a result of an action by the Department of Family Protective Services to file an original suit for access to the child.
  5. HB 3121.  Sections 157.001 and 157.062 of the Texas Family Code are amended to grant the courts broader authority with respect to enforcing temporary orders, including temporary restraining orders, standing orders, injunctions, and any other temporary order rendered by the court.
  6. HB 4086.  Section 201.015(a) of the Texas Family Code is amended relating to the right to a de novo hearing before the referring court after a temporary order was rendered by an associate judge in certain family law proceedings.

Senate Bills

  1. SB 206.  Effective September 1, 2016, Section 161.001(b) is amended to include that a parent who has been convicted of places on community supervision in another jurisdiction under a law that contains elements substantially similar to the elements of any the sections of the Penal Code listed in Section 161.001(b)(1)(L) of the Texas Family code can lead to involuntary termination of the parent-child relationship.
  2. SB 314.  Section 263. 409 is amended to include a requirement that the Department of Family and Protective Services provide a nonparent managing conservator of a child with an explanation of the differences between adoption and appointment as managing conservator and to inform them of the rights and duties of a managing conservator before the court renders an order appointing them as managing conservator.
  3. SB 737 (HB 1660).  Section 85.042 is amended to require courts to send protective orders to law enforcement by the end of the next business day and to permit transmission in electronic form.
  4. SB 812 (HB 1826).  Section 201.001 is amended to allow associate judges to hear and render orders on name change suits pursuant to Title 1, Chapter 45 of the Texas Family Code.
  5. SB 814.  Section 6.4035 is amended to remove the requirement that a waiver of service be sworn before a notary public if the party executing the waiver is incarcerated.  Also, the section is amended to prohibit the use of a digitized signature on a waiver.  In addition, parties are now authorized to waive the issuance or service of citation in suits to remove the disability of a minor, a suit to change the name of an adult or a child, or a suit relating to the parent child-relationship through amendment of sections 31.008. 45.0031, 45.107 and 102.0091.
  6. SB 815.  Section 6.501(a) is amended to include new forms of electronic communications and documents in temporary injunctions the court may issue and adds a list of additional protections of parties after filing for a divorce.
  7. SB 817.  Section 153.005, regarding the issuance of a protective order and the appointment of a managing conservator in certain family law proceedings is amended.
  8. SB 818.  Sections 153.076 is amended to add subsections (b-1) and (c-1) and amending subsection (d).  Section 153.076(b-1) require a court to order that each conservator of a child has the duty to inform the other conservator under certain circumstances concerning whether the conservator establishes a residence with someone subject to a protective order, lives with or provides unsupervised access to a child to someone subject to a protective order, or is subject to a protective order themselves after the date of the order establishing conservatorship.  Section (c-1) outlines the notice requirements and (d) is amended to include failure to provide notice required by (b-1) and (c-1) as Class C misdemeanor.
  9. SB 821 (HB 1825).  This bill amends the Texas Family Code to change the definition of school from a primary school to an elementary school and that elementary school includes prekindergarten.
  10. SB 1929.  Amends 155.207 of the Texas Family Code by extending the period from one to ten days for the clerk of the court to send to the proper court the required documents and adds that a certified copy of the order of transfer signed by the transferring court to the list of required documents.  Additionally, it adds that notice shall be given to the judge of the transferee court on the receipt of the documents, items that must be included in the order of transfer, and the authority of the court to which a suit is transferred to either retain an attorney ad litem or guardian ad litem appointed by the transferring court or to appoint a new attorney ad litem or guardian ad litem by wither the 10th day after receiving the order of transfer or the date of the first scheduled hearing after the transfer.
Featured Image

Ramos Law Ramos Law Group, PLLC, was founded by board certified attorney Mary E. Ramos, founder of Ramos Law Group, PLLC, who is board certified in family law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.

Why should you choose a board certified attorney in Texas over a non-board certified attorney? There are several reasons why choosing a board certified attorney could mean a better experience for the client and a more favorable outcome for their case.

More Experience

Becoming a board certified attorney in Texas requires that an attorney in the state of Texas to have practiced law for at least five years, with a minimum of three years in the specialty area. After passing an evaluation by fellow lawyers and judges the attorney must take and pass a 6-hour written certification exam, the attorney is required to continue ongoing involvement in their specialty area and attend Texas Board of Legal Specialization approved legal education courses.

Higher Standards

The standard that Board Certified Attorneys must meet, shows a level of commitment to their specific field of law and an ongoing interest in learning the current trends in their practice area. A board certified attorney has more knowledge and experience in a certain, specific area of law as compared to an attorney who practices in several different areas of law.

Powerful Reputation

The advantage of a board certified attorney to a non-board certified attorney is more than passing a certification test. A board certified attorney possesses a greater level of experience in a single field, maintains close relations with other attorneys within their specific field, and gains ongoing notoriety amongst their peers in the legal community.

Each of these advantages provide better results for the Board Certified Attorney’s client because experience, close relationships, and notoriety all work together in obtaining the best legal result possible for the client.

Contact Us Today

Mary E. Ramos understands that being a board certified attorney in Texas means staying fully committed to each case along with continued education to provide the best possible outcomes for each client. If you’re looking for an attorney with a higher level of experience, standards, and reputation, contact our team at Ramos Law Group today to schedule your initial consultation.

Video Transcription:

Things not to do during your divorce process. Don’t date. Don’t do drugs. Don’t drink and drive. Don’t use your children as pawns or put them in the middle. Don’t dredge on the past of your divorce process. Let the past be the past. We’re trying to move forward. It’s not gonna be beneficial emotionally or financially for you to focus on the past when we’re trying to get you moving forward. If you need counseling to deal with issues in the past, that’s probably a good idea to seek counseling or a support group in some form or fashion. Let us guide you in the divorce process and make sure you don’t step in any of those land mines in moving forward. We wanna make sure you get through the divorce process in the least financially impacting way and the most beneficial for you family and your situation.

Ramos Law Group, PLLC, your family law team of experts.

Video Transcription by Speechpad.com.

Reducing the Cost of Legal Representation

A divorce is one of the most challenging and emotionally draining experiences someone can go through. An effective and experienced family law attorney can help guide you through this trying process, but it’s no secret that hiring legal representation in Texas can be expensive. Consider these tips:

  • Send specific, numbered questions via email
  • Gather documents and do your own homework
  • Create a timeline of your case

In this video, Mary E. Ramos outlines these tips to help reduce the cost of representation in Texas. If you’re going through a divorce, or any other difficult family law situation, contact the expert attorneys at Ramos Law Group, PLLC for more information.

1. Send Your Questions Via Email

Divorce can get expensive, especially when people won’t agree to things. As soon as attorneys get involved, expenses begin to skyrocket. One of the ways that you can reduce your attorney fees during the divorce process is to communicate via email to your attorney when you have questions and concerns.

At Ramos Law Group, attorneys may request that clients send questions, numbered one through five, in an email so that they can addressed and dealt with in an efficient and timely manner. The office policy is to return all emails within a 24 hour period.

2. Do Your Own Homework

Another way to mitigate your expenses is to do as much homework as you can on your own and gather documents to provide your attorneys. The less time that your attorneys have to work on your case, the less expensive it is for you.

3. Create a Timeline

One of the most effective tips to help reduce the cost of representation in Texas is to create a timeline of your case for your attorney. In other words, write out the ‘story’ of your case. Your divorce case is a story, and the only way your attorney is going to be able to relay that story to the judge is to know exactly what is going on. Remember: this your case, this is your marriage, these are your children, this is your life.

By providing as much detail as possible to your attorneys, they will be able to express your concerns to the judge more accurately; it’s like drawing a picture in a coloring book, and filling out that picture with as much detail as possible. This puts your attorneys in a better position to reach the goals set in your case.

Contact Our Team Today

Mary E. Ramos is committed to achieving positive outcomes for each and every one of her clients. As a board certified family law attorney, she has the knowledge, experience, and reputation you’re looking for when you’re going through a divorce. Consider these tips to help reduce the cost of representation in Texas, and schedule a consultation with our attorneys at Ramos Law Group, PLLC, today.

If you’ve recently been served with divorce papers in Texas, chances are you’re having a hard time understanding exactly what it is you’re supposed to do next. While taking some time to absorb this information is completely understandable, it is also imperative that you act quickly to protect your rights. Take the time you need to work through your initial emotional response by seeking the support of friends and family. Once you’re able to think clearly, you’ll want to start putting together your formal response and planning the next steps forward.

Preparing Your Response

After a few days, you’ll want to decide whether or not you need a divorce attorney. Putting together your response can be a tricky and painstaking process, one which could require careful planning if you need to respond to multiple allegations. The attorneys at Ramos Law Group have extensive experience dealing with clients who have been served with divorce papers and need to enter a formal response.

Do I Need To Go To Court?

If you’ve recently been served with divorce papers, you may be wondering if it is necessary to go to court. As soon as your attorneys file your response, the opposing counsel will be notified. From that point, your attorneys will try to see what can be done by agreement, if temporary orders need to be put in place, or temporary injunctions that say neither party will cancel insurances, accounts, or transfer money. This will maintain the status quo until both sides’ attorneys can divide the community estate between parties.

After this phase, there may be an option to attend mediation. Mediation is required on all cases before a final trial is heard in front of the judge, but usually it is helpful to have the parties mediate as soon as possible to obtain financial information about both parties and understand the divorce situation.

Contact Our Team Today

Mary E. Ramos is dedicated to achieving positive outcomes for all of her clients. She and her team understand that any legal situation involving family is emotionally challenging, and they work hard to get results while making the process as painless as possible. If you’ve recently been served with divorce papers in Texas, contact the trusted team of family law experts at Ramos Law Group, PLLC, today.

If you’re going through a divorce and you and your spouse have children, it’s important to take parenting classes to learn how to communicate effectively to serve their best interests. However, the court may also require that you and your spouse attend classes as part of an agreement made with your child custody lawyer. Above, board certified family law attorney Mary E. Ramos outlines a few of the benefits of parenting classes during a divorce in Texas.

Parenting After Your Divorce

There is a four-hour parenting class that’s required and depending on the court, you may be required to attend multiple classes. Our attorneys encourage clients to take these classes early on, so that they have that knowledge and information to utilize during the case. The parenting class doesn’t teach you how to be a parent, but it teaches you how to communicate in two different households. This is where you can leverage the benefits of parenting classes.

It can be hard enough to discipline children in one household; in two separate households, being able to discipline and communicate with your children can become extremely difficult. Children of divorce will learn how to manipulate their parents, and parents, despite their separation, need to be on the same page with how they’re going to move forward and address these issues.

If divorced parents don’t talk to each other, children will pick up on it and start to say what each parent wants to hear. If you are on the same page with the other parent, you can address concerns you have with your children directly with the other parent — not through your child. It’s a better way to protect your child from being impacted with the divorce process. Regardless of your divorce, you’re going to be a co-parent for the rest of your life.

Contact Our Team Today

Choosing a divorce lawyer and going through a divorce can be one of the most emotionally challenging events in one’s life, and attending co-parenting courses with your spouse will be no different. Yet the benefits of parenting classes during a divorce extend well beyond satisfying the orders of the judge; it’s important to put the wellbeing of your children front and center to help them with this difficult transition.

If you have more questions about parenting classes during a divorce in Texas, or you need the expert advice of a board certified family law attorney, schedule an appointment with Ramos Law Group, PLLC, today.

Page 2 of 1612345...10...Last »
Scroll to top