Call Us Today 713-225-6200

5 Ways for Fathers to Increase Parenting Time

Finding effective ways for fathers to increase parenting time can be key to fostering stronger bonds with their children. A court custody order does not always meet the expectations of fathers. A court may change a custody order to increase your parenting time so long as you show that you are a committed and involved parent who has addressed any behavioral issues. Below, the Ramos Law Group, PLLC’s attorneys explain 5 ways for fathers to increase parenting time with their children. These methods involve demonstrating to the court that you have resolved your past issues, cooperated with your ex, and actively participated in your child’s life.

What Is Parenting Time?

In Texas, child custody is called conservatorship. Conservatorship consists of two components:

  • The ability to make decisions for the child, and
  • Physical possession of the child.

Parenting time is a parent’s ability to physically possess the child and spend time with them. The legal parents of a child generally have the right to participate in their child’s life and spend time with them without needing a court order. However, when parents break up, they often wind up in court, where a parenting schedule is decided.

Generally, courts use the standard possession order to schedule parenting time. However, there are circumstances where the court will deviate from this plan. For example, parents may need another plan if they live far apart. Additionally, a court will restrict parenting time if one parent has a history of abuse or neglect.

5 Ways for Fathers to Increase Parenting Time

Many fathers would like more parenting time with their children than what’s reflected in a court order. Courts, however, do not take a request to change their orders lightly, so you must build a strong case to support any request to change a court’s parenting time order. Let’s look at some steps you can take to build a stronger case for increased parenting time.

1. Be Involved in Your Child’s Life

You may think this goes without saying, but one of the best ways to build a stronger case is to get involved in your child’s life. Prioritize showing up for your child’s:

  • School functions,
  • Parent-teacher conferences,
  • Sports activities,
  • Extracurricular activities, and
  • Doctor’s appointments.

While you may already be showing up for significant events, you should also prioritize getting involved with the more mundane activities in your child’s life, like shopping for school clothes or taking them to the dentist.

A court often considers each parent’s involvement in their child’s life and availability for parenting decisions. You can demonstrate your availability by showing up regularly for your child.

2. Help Make Important Decisions for Your Child

Depending on your current situation, you can share in making important decisions affecting your child. Such decisions may be about your child’s:

  • Education,
  • Religion,
  • Participation in extracurricular activities,
  • Medical treatment, and
  • Mental health treatment.

Your court order may specify that you share the right to make these decisions in cooperation with the child’s other parent.

This requires you to be regularly involved in your child’s life and to learn how to communicate and cooperate with his or her mother. Work to set aside differences so you can openly discuss your child’s well-being.

3. Don’t Miss Scheduled Visitation Time

Life happens, and your schedule or obligations may change over time. But if you are serious about increasing your parenting time in the future, you need to treat the parenting time that you have as though it is your top priority. Rather than changing your parenting time to make room for your plans, you need to change your plans to accommodate your parenting schedule.

Emergencies do happen, and a missed visit may be unavoidable. But do not make tardiness or missed visits a habit. Plus, you must inform your child’s mother immediately if your schedule changes or something unexpected happens. Depending on the situation, you may also be responsible for securing child care if you cannot care for your child due to a conflict.

4. Be Cooperative with the Custodial Parent and Court

If you and your ex share a child, you must work hard to set aside your differences and learn how to communicate so that your child benefits from a relationship with each of you. This may require you to set some rules about the methods you use to communicate. Generally, try to talk only about your child and not each other. Listen to the other person’s perspective and pause before responding. Demonstrating patience, cooperation, and communication skills with your ex will go a long way in your future request for additional parenting time.

It’s also important to cooperate with the court and comply with existing court orders. If a court order says that while the child is in the custody of the other parent, you can call the child daily between 7 PM and 8 PM, do not call at 5 PM or 8:30 PM. You must show the court that you respect and obey existing court orders.

5. Invest in Training Such As Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Certification and Parenting Classes

Parenting doesn’t necessarily come with a definitive handbook, but many resources are available to help you enhance your parenting skills. Taking advantage of these resources also allows you to show a court that you take your role as a parent seriously.

Depending on your circumstances and the reasons for a restricted visitation order, you may consider taking classes such as:

  • Parenting classes,
  • Anger management classes,
  • Caregiver training classes, and
  • CPR and first aid classes.

If you have a history of substance abuse, consider joining a 12-Step program or attending substance abuse counseling. Document all the courses you attend and be prepared to discuss how they help your parenting abilities with the court.

Process for Increasing Parenting Time in Texas

If a parenting plan exists, you must request a modification to increase parenting time with your child. Generally, a court will only modify an order if there’s been a significant change in circumstances since the original order. You may be able to demonstrate a significant change in circumstances if you take some of the steps we described above. Additionally, your child’s mother may be more likely to agree to a modification if you cooperate and participate in your child’s life.

Contact Our Office for Help with Increasing Parenting Time

You need an advocate to help you build the strongest case possible when requesting an increase in your parenting time. The attorneys at the Ramos Law Group, PLLC, have handled many modifications to parenting time orders. Our firm focuses exclusively on Texas family law; thus, we have extensive experience that helps us advocate successfully for our clients. Contact us today to discuss parenting time or other family law issues.
You might also be interested in:


Last Updated on March 27, 2024 by Mary E. Ramos

Author Photo

Mary E. Ramos

Mary E. Ramos is Board Certified in Family Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. She is recognized and respected throughout the Houston legal community for dedication in effectively representing clients’ rights and interests. Mary understands the emotional side of divorce and brings a special compassion to each and every case.

CALL FOR A CONSULTATION 713-225-6200 or Fill Out the Form Below

By submitting this form, I understand and agree that an attorney-client relationship with Ramos Law Group is ONLY established upon entering into a written fee agreement. I acknowledge that this submission is not a request for legal advice, and any information received in response will not constitute legal advice.

I also consent to receiving text messages from Ramos Law Group. I can text ‘STOP’ to opt out of text messages at any time. Please visit our SMS Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more details.

X - Close