Call Us Today 713-225-6200

Can My Teenager Decide Which Parent To Live With In A Child Custody Modification?

Can My Teenage Child Choose Which Parent To Live With During A Child Custody Modification In Texas?

If you and the other parent of your child are in agreement to change your current custody arrangement due to your child’s preference, you can do a simple agreed modification which will involve minimal court involvement.

If you and the other parent are not in agreement to change custody to reflect your child’s desires, you’ll need to file a modification in a suit affecting a parent-child relationship. Once that suit has been filed, Texas Family Code Section 153.009 allows a parent to request the judge presiding over their case confer with the child or children over the age of 12. This is the opportunity for your child to express their desire as to which parent they would like to live with.

The Court’s Decision

If such a request is made, the judge will meet with the child in chambers and during that discussion, the child can tell the judge which parent they desire to live with. This allows a child to state their preference of where to live, however, the judge will only take that preference into account, but the child will not have the final say. When determining child custody in Texas, the final decision rests with the judge.

Texas family court judges look at many factors when determining the best interest of a child, including the emotional and physical needs, a parent’s abilities to meet the needs of the child, the stability of the home, and the desires of the child in choosing which parent to live with. The Court may decide that the desires of the child and what is in the best interest of the child may conflict. In that situation, the court will likely decline to place the child in the home the child has expressed a desire to reside.

Consulting With An Attorney

If you have questions about your rights regarding child custody in Texas or are looking for a child custody modification, please consult with an attorney first. Mary E. Ramos and the experienced attorneys of Ramos Law Group are among the top divorce and family law experts in the Houston area. Please contact the child custody lawyers at the Ramos Law Group, PLLC for help with issues regarding child custody or modifying your current arrangement.

Last Updated on June 11, 2019 by Mary E. Ramos

Author Photo

Mary E. Ramos

Mary E. Ramos is Board Certified in Family Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. She is recognized and respected throughout the Houston legal community for dedication in effectively representing clients’ rights and interests. Mary understands the emotional side of divorce and brings a special compassion to each and every case.

CALL FOR A CONSULTATION 713-225-6200 or Fill Out the Form Below

By submitting this form, I understand and agree that an attorney-client relationship with Ramos Law Group is ONLY established upon entering into a written fee agreement. I acknowledge that this submission is not a request for legal advice, and any information received in response will not constitute legal advice.

I also consent to receiving text messages from Ramos Law Group. I can text ‘STOP’ to opt out of text messages at any time. Please visit our SMS Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more details.

X - Close