Call Us Today 713-225-6200

What Is The Process For An Adult Name Change?

If you are an adult in the State of Texas and desire to legally change your current name, there are procedural steps that must be taken before a court will sign an order granting a legal name change.  The steps are as followed:

  • File an Original Petition requesting a legal name change.

This petition will be filed with a family law court in the county of your residence. In this document you request that your name be legally changed to your desired new name. You must also affirm that you have no previous felony convictions and are not a registered sex offender.

  • Fingerprinting and Background Check.

The State of Texas requires that persons desiring a legal name change are fingerprinted and have a background check conducted. You can have your fingerprints taken at a local police department, FBI office or an organization such as Fingerprint Applicant Service of Texas (FAST). Once you have been fingerprinted and received your fingerprint cards, they will need to be submitted to the Texas Department of Public Safety, the organization responsible for running background checks.

Background checks typically take six weeks to be processed and returned to the court. You may not proceed on your name change until the court has received the results of your background check.

  • Proving up your name change.

Once the court has received the results of your fingerprints and background check, you may finalize your request for a name change.  Adult name changes are typically heard on the uncontested docket, which means that you and your attorney will sign up and approach the judge. You will “prove up” your requested name change by testifying that you have requested a name change, your reasons for the requested name change, affirming that you are not requesting a name change in an effort to avoid criminal prosecution or collection of debts and what your new requested name shall be. Once you have given testimony and the court approves your request, the court will sign an order granting your requested name change.

  • Certified copy.

Now that the court has approved your requested name change, you will need to obtain a certified copy from the court or district clerk, which is a copy of the order containing the judge’s signature. You will need this order to take with you to the Social Security Office, the DMV, your bank and any other organizations where you will need to show proof of your new legal name.

Quick Tip: If you are currently going through a divorce it is less expensive to include the adult name change as part of the divorce process rather than filing a separate petition which requires the background checks.

Last Updated on May 28, 2019 by Mary E. Ramos

Author Photo

Mary E. Ramos

Mary E. Ramos is Board Certified in Family Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. She is recognized and respected throughout the Houston legal community for dedication in effectively representing clients’ rights and interests. Mary understands the emotional side of divorce and brings a special compassion to each and every case.

CALL FOR A CONSULTATION 713-225-6200 or Fill Out the Form Below

By submitting this form, I understand and agree that an attorney-client relationship with Ramos Law Group is ONLY established upon entering into a written fee agreement. I acknowledge that this submission is not a request for legal advice, and any information received in response will not constitute legal advice.

I also consent to receiving text messages from Ramos Law Group. I can text ‘STOP’ to opt out of text messages at any time. Please visit our SMS Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more details.

X - Close