Call Us Today 713-225-6200

How Do I Change My Child’s Name In Texas?

If you desire to change your child’s last name, there are procedural steps that must be followed. In Texas a parent must petition a court to legally change a child’s name. This petition must include the present name and residence of the child, the reason the name change is requested, the full name requested for the child, whether the child is subject to continuing exclusive jurisdiction of a court, and whether the child is subject to the registration requirements under Chapter 62 of the Code of Criminal Procedure. If the child is ten years of age or older, the child must provide written consent for his or her name to be changed.

Once the petition has been filed and all the parties properly served, a hearing will be scheduled. The other parent will be given the opportunity to contest the proposed name change; if that is the case then the Court will decide if the name change is in the best interest of the child.   In most cases, the court will require that both parents consent to the name change.

If the Court grants the name change request, the judge will sign the order granting the name change and you will be able to take a certified copy of the order to the necessary agencies to have all identification and governmental documents changed to reflect your child’s new name.

Last Updated on January 28, 2022 by Mary E. Ramos

Author Photo

Mary E. Ramos

Mary E. Ramos is Board Certified in Family Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. She is recognized and respected throughout the Houston legal community for dedication in effectively representing clients’ rights and interests. Mary understands the emotional side of divorce and brings a special compassion to each and every case.

CALL FOR A CONSULTATION 713-225-6200 or Fill Out the Form Below

By submitting this form, I understand and agree that an attorney-client relationship with Ramos Law Group is ONLY established upon entering into a written fee agreement. I acknowledge that this submission is not a request for legal advice, and any information received in response will not constitute legal advice.

I also consent to receiving text messages from Ramos Law Group. I can text ‘STOP’ to opt out of text messages at any time. Please visit our SMS Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more details.

X - Close